I get quite a few questions about what gear I use, specifically what kind of camera I use. So I thought I would share in a post! Please take note, I'm not saying I'm THE expert on camera equipment or that I know everything. Quite the opposite, really! I'm just sharing what I use and what works for me!
1. Camera- I use a Canon 7D. I got it this past Winter and I love it! I don't get into the Canon vs. Nikon debates, but I will say that I learned and started out using Canon. I've invested in Canon equpiment, as well, so I don't plan on making a big switch at any point soon, unless it's to upgrade to the 5D mk iii! ;)
I also LOVE my wrist strap from Phat Straps! I find neck straps to be cumbersome and the weight of the camera around my neck caused some pain. I also didn't want to go strapless and risk an accident! So a wrist strap was the perfect solution.
2. Lenses- The lens I use the VERY most is the 50mm 1.4. It really never comes off my camera, except for at a wedding! (And for this photo... Haha!)
For weddings I rent a 70-200mm 2.8 and a 60mm 2.8 macro lens, both of which are on my "to purchase" list. I believe in building my business slowly and on a solid foundation, so I choose to save the money I earn from photography until I have enough to purchase each piece of equipment rather than using credit cards or getting a business loan. Some may disagree with me, and that's okay! This is just the way I'm going about things! I'm a big fan of renting, also, because I like to test equipment out before I go ahead and invest in it! I do all my rentals through Borrow Lenses!
3. Lighting- In my bag is a Canon 580ex ii. I use this mostly for wedding receptions. I prefer to use natural light for my photography, as you can see in my portfolio. I will say, however, that I am SO glad to have this flash!! And I love that it has a handy dandy diffuser and bounce card built right in!
I'm currently working on building my off camera lighting set up and plan to do a post on that at some point in the future, so stay tuned for more lighting info!
4. CF Cards- I've got a bunch! Not much to say about them, except you can never have too many!! I'd much rather have more than I need than not enough, of course.
5. Extra Batteries and Charger- Again, I would rather have more than I need than run out! And I keep my charger in my bag just in case!
6. Etc...- I know, funny to put it that way, but I didn't feel that business cards, pens, a small notebook, bubbles (you never know!!), etc all needed their own categories! ;)
And, last but not least, my lovely camera bag itself! Everyone always asks me if it's my purse. I mean, I do tend to carry a large purse but... Haha! Anyways, I love my Epiphanie bag! It's cute, but it also protects all my gear- which is obviously the most important part!
Whew! This has been a long post! Up next week, my recommendations for those just starting out and looking to learn the ins and outs of photography! Happy Friday, everyone, and have a GREAT weekend!!